Close Menu
Liberal News
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Podcast
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Culture
What's Hot

Umahi, APC Chairman Deliberate on Plan to Brief Party Leadership on Tinubu’s Infrastructure Drive

From Paper Forms to Digital Flow: How Customs’ New SCADS Platform Is Rewriting the Airport Experience

CYPF Condemns Oyo School Attack, Warns of Escalating Threat to Education Nationwide

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Podcast
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Culture
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Liberal NewsLiberal News
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Podcast
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Culture
Liberal News
You are at:Home » “We Won’t Allow Lives to Be Endangered” — Umahi Orders Partial Closure of Eko Bridge, Flags Off New Carter Bridge Project
Works

“We Won’t Allow Lives to Be Endangered” — Umahi Orders Partial Closure of Eko Bridge, Flags Off New Carter Bridge Project

Joy OnuBy Joy OnuMay 7, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read6 Views
Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit Copy Link
Share
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Telegram Copy Link

By Victoria Attah

The Federal Government has announced the partial closure of the Eko Bridge in Lagos after structural damage linked to illegal sand mining activities raised fresh safety concerns over one of the city’s busiest transport routes.

Minister of Works, David Umahi, disclosed that one carriageway of the bridge will be shut to traffic from Sunday midnight to allow emergency repairs and technical investigations to begin.

According to the minister, illegal dredging activities around the bridge weakened some of its structural supports after a sand mining barge reportedly rammed into critical underwater components of the bridge.

“When they hit the pile cap, several piles were damaged, and the structure became unstable,” Umahi said during an inspection and project handover event in Lagos.

He warned that visible cracks had already appeared on sections of the bridge, stressing that immediate intervention became necessary to prevent further deterioration and protect commuters.

The minister explained that engineers would carry out emergency lifting operations on part of the bridge to expose the damaged areas beneath for repairs, while specialist divers conduct underwater assessments.

Umahi said Buildwell Construction has been selected to handle the emergency repair works because of the company’s previous experience on bridge rehabilitation projects in Lagos.

While addressing the Eko Bridge situation, the minister also formally handed over the reconstruction of the ageing Carter Bridge to China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), marking the beginning of a major infrastructure renewal project in Lagos.

He revealed that technical reports on both Carter Bridge and the Third Mainland Bridge had raised concerns over worsening structural defects beneath the water level over the years.

According to him, investigations dating back to 2013, and followed by further assessments in 2019 and under the current administration, showed progressive damage to several underwater support structures.

Umahi said the government eventually opted for a complete reconstruction after experts concluded that repairing the existing Carter Bridge would be significantly more expensive than building a new one.

The new bridge project, estimated at N545 billion, is expected to run for 36 months and will feature a cable-stayed section aimed at improving marine navigation and modernising Lagos infrastructure.

The minister said the contract was awarded after a competitive bidding process involving multiple firms, with CCECC emerging as the preferred contractor based on technical competence and financial evaluation.

He credited President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for approving the intervention projects, saying the administration was determined to address long-standing infrastructure challenges across the country.

Umahi appealed to Lagos residents to cooperate with traffic management measures during the repair period, assuring that the Federal Government would intensify monitoring to ensure the projects meet required engineering standards.

“We will continue to work day and night to safeguard lives and preserve critical national infrastructure,” the minister stated.

Buildwell Construction China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) Engr. David Umahi - Minister Of Works Federal Ministry Of Works Julius Berger Nigeria Plc
Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Reddit Telegram Email Copy Link
Previous ArticleFrom Local Production to Continental Control: NAFDAC, AMA Forge Stronger Drug Regulation Alliance
Next Article FG Unveils Midwifery Reform Plan Amid Renewed Concerns Over Maternal Mortality
Joy Onu
  • Website

Related Posts

Umahi, APC Chairman Deliberate on Plan to Brief Party Leadership on Tinubu’s Infrastructure Drive

May 19, 2026

FG Pushes Ahead With Four Highway Projects, Targets Economic Boost

May 14, 2026

Tinubu’s Re-Election Bid Gains Momentum as Umahi Endorses Second-Term Form

May 6, 2026
Top Posts

Barrister Comfort Odoma Leads Multi-Sector NGOs in Abuja Outreach, Feeds Hundreds of Less Privileged

November 9, 2025297 Views

Princess Joy Idam Responds to Hon. Chinedu Ogah on Amasiri Situation

February 18, 2026233 Views

Neglecting The Boy Child Threatens National Stability: Speakers Warns at Yargote Summit

November 29, 2025180 Views

Dr. Iwowarri Berian James at 70: Making the Case for Energy Therapy in Nigeria

February 3, 2026151 Views
Don't Miss
Works May 19, 2026

Umahi, APC Chairman Deliberate on Plan to Brief Party Leadership on Tinubu’s Infrastructure Drive

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, on Tuesday held discussions with the National Chairman of…

From Paper Forms to Digital Flow: How Customs’ New SCADS Platform Is Rewriting the Airport Experience

CYPF Condemns Oyo School Attack, Warns of Escalating Threat to Education Nationwide

From Millennium Park to Suleja: Yargote Foundation Expands Boy Child Campaign Across Communities

About Us
About Us

Liberal News bring to you the latest news updates

Our Picks

Umahi, APC Chairman Deliberate on Plan to Brief Party Leadership on Tinubu’s Infrastructure Drive

From Paper Forms to Digital Flow: How Customs’ New SCADS Platform Is Rewriting the Airport Experience

CYPF Condemns Oyo School Attack, Warns of Escalating Threat to Education Nationwide

Most Popular

Oyo/Osun Customs Deepens Inter-Agency Cooperation to Tackle Security Challenges

May 15, 20263 Views

Umahi, APC Chairman Deliberate on Plan to Brief Party Leadership on Tinubu’s Infrastructure Drive

May 19, 20264 Views

Zero Tolerance for Contraband: Nigerian Correctional Service Boss Warns Officers, Orders Destruction of 1,167 Seized Phones

May 6, 20265 Views
© 2026 Liberal News. Designed by Domo Tech Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.